Over the summer, I moved to the South after living in California all my life. To celebrate in the months before moving, I had fun experimenting with vegan Southern food–and my husband’s and my favorite dish that came out of that was this gravy with biscuits.
This gravy was a labor of love, but we sacrificed and ate about 4 test batches of it over the months as I developed the recipe. 😉 Through experimentation I’ve found that it should work with any type of vegan beef, but our favorite version is with Impossible, or a mix of Beyond and Impossible meat.
I use Minimalist Baker’s vegan biscuit recipe to serve this with, and they went perfectly!
Makes enough to generously cover ~15 biscuits
- 5 tbsp vegan butter
- 7 tbsp flour
- 3/4lb vegan beef (= 3 Beyond burger patties, or 1 Impossible pack)
- 1 large yellow or white onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp vegan chick’n bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon’s)
- 4 cups unsweetened cashew milk or other neutral non-dairy milk*
- 3 tsp mushroom umami seasoning**
- 1/3 tsp pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
*This definitely tastes best with cashew milk, but soy or almond would likely work as well. I don’t recommend coconut milk.
**OR powdered mushroom OR 1/2c finely chopped or puréed mushrooms
- Make a roux: add the butter and flour to a pan over medium heat, and stir together as the butter melts. When the mixture starts to turn golden brown, add the milk and whisk well.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes over low-medium heat, whisking occasionally, until milk has thickened substantially.
- While the milk mixture is simmering, sauté the vegan beef and onions (and diced mushrooms, if using) together until the beef is about 70% of the way cooked–it will be slightly pink still.
- Add the beef and onions to the pot with the milk. Add seasonings, and simmer until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve over your favorite biscuit recipe, mashed potatoes, or even noodles for a stroganoff feel. It keeps great in the fridge too!
Click on the picture below to pin!