Hey friends! Today I have a video (& post) for you with 10 tips on how to stop overeating or binge eating out of boredom! Boredom eating is an important habit to kick whether you’re looking to learn to eat intuitively, or looking to lose weight.
Today I’m wearing my psychologist hat: I do have my master’s degree in psychology (cognitive neuroscience emphasis) after all! Some of these tips will address the eating side of the issue, and others will focus more on solving the boredom side.
I go over all these points in detail and with concrete examples in the video, but here’s the list:
- Figure out if you’re eating from actual boredom, or if it’s really hunger! (Try the broccoli test)
- Exercise: the hormones suppress your appetite!
- Meditation: turn boredom into something that’s good for you physically & mentally
- Mindful eating
- Plan something exciting
- Find something else that’s mostly mindless to occupy yourself, especially your hands
- Find an activity that’s rewarding in a way that replaces the reward from food
- Channel your food-related thoughts into cooking something healthy!
- Find & solve the root cause of your boredom, like stress, depression, dissatisfaction with life circumstances, etc.
Hope some of those can help you! 🙂