Calling all soup lovers! If you like broccoli and cheese soup but don’t want the dairy or processed fake cheeses, this recipe is for you. (Especially my fellow high carb, low fat vegans!)
Although we don’t get to experience much of a real winter where I am in California, I still can’t help but love soup season. I’ve been experimenting with spicy lentil, roasted tomato, and sweet potato soups over the last few weeks, but I keep coming back to this broccoli one. Yukon gold potato lends the soup its creaminess, and the cheesy flavor comes from nutritional yeast, along with onions, garlic, and a few cashews. It’s also flexible and fun to customize: you can add whatever veggies you have on hand, and vary amounts as you please and it’ll still turn out great.
It’s packed with nutrients (and even quite high in protein!), it’s quick and easy to make, and it’s especially delicious when paired with toasted sourdough!
- 1 medium yukon gold potato (about 200g)
- 2-3 cups broccoli pieces
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 yellow or white onion
- 4 stalks of celery
- 4-5 large mushrooms
- 2-3 handfuls of kale or spinach
- 1 tsp vegetable broth powder (or a vegetable bouillon cube, or veggie broth)
- 2 tbsp cashews (omit for lower fat)
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted bread (especially sourdough) for serving
- Boil or microwave potato until soft.
- Roughly chop the garlic, onion, celery, and mushrooms. They’ll all be blended later, so just chop them enough so they have some surface area for cooking.
- Dry-sauté garlic and onion over medium heat until the garlic toasts slightly, then add the water, broccoli, celery, mushrooms, potato, and kale or spinach. Simmer until soft.
- Remove from heat, and add to blender along with cashews, nutritional yeast, and almond milk. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more water and/or almond milk as necessary to get soup to the consistency you prefer.
Serve with freshly toasted bread, and enjoy!
Nutrition information (for half the recipe):
Calories: 250 | Fat: 6g | Carbs: 35g (5.5g fiber) | Protein: 14.5g
(This is cross-posted from my recipe-only blog)
1 thought on “Creamy, Low Fat Broccoli Soup Recipe [Vegan, HCLF]”