Sometimes, the craving for comfort food is overwhelming. Luckily, instead of turning to the high calorie foods I’m dying for, I like to make low cal substitutes. This cauliflower mac n cheese is one of my favorites, especially because it’s so easy, and actually pretty healthy! The whole thing came to 300 calories for me, and that was with the avocado–the dish was amazingly rich and filling. (I like to try to have half an avocado a day, so I incorporate it as often as I can.)
Most of these are estimates, because I cook spontaneously. So just mess with the ingredient amounts to fit your tastes!
- 1-2 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese of your choice [I used daiya cheddar]
- ~1/4 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- 1/2 avocado, ~75g (optional)
- Chipotle or smoked paprika powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional add-ins: spinach or kale, veggies, vegetarian sausage
1. Wash, slice/rip, and cook cauliflower as desired. I microwaved mine in the bowl for ~45 seconds. Roasting it would also taste delicious!
2. Prepare sauce: in a pan over low-medium heat, add the cheese and half the milk, stirring frequently. Once melted, add as much milk as you’d like until the sauce has reached your desired consistency. (it really varies person to person!) Add salt, pepper, and any seasonings you want.
3. Add in cauliflower, avocado if using, and add-ins; stir until coated and cauliflower is as soft as you like it.
4. Pour into a bowl and serve hot.
3 thoughts on “Recipe: Cauliflower Mac n Cheeze (Vegan and Low Cal)”
yum!! have you ever tried cauliflower pizza?! i’ve been meaning to, but just haven’t taken the time, yet… thanks for sharing this awesome easy recipe!!
Wonderful idea, its a great substitute!!! I just tried it 🙂 Thank you!