Hello friends! Sorry about yet another hiatus. Sometimes life just gets a bit crazy: between classes and research internships and my boyfriend visiting during his spring break, I just haven’t had much computer time. But I think that can finally change during the last 6 weeks of the semester and through the summer! 🙂 Despite the blogging break, I have been uploading daily to my instagram, so feel free to keep up with my food/fitness adventures over there! (Linked in sidebar)
And now, one of my goals for this blog is recipe sharing: I have another dedicated recipe blog I post on, but I thought I’d share the more fitness-friendly ones here in case they’re useful to anyone. I’ll also post about my current fitness routine and goals soon, since I’ve been making a lot of progress in the last few weeks!
So to kick things off, I wanted to share one of my favorite new recipes, from last week: chocolate chip sweet potato muffins. They’re a tad addictive, and my omni friends were shocked that they were vegan (always my test of good vegan food). They were even more surprised when I told them they’re incredibly low cal, too! They’re my new favorite snack when I’m out and about: I’ve been bringing them to class straight from the freezer and they’re perfectly moist and thawed an hour later.
Makes one dozen small muffins
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (for gluten free, try buckwheat flour)
- 1/2 banana
- 250g sweet potato, baked
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I used unsweetened soymilk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp splenda, or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 -1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
Ingredient prep: Use pre-baked sweet potato, or bake your own in the oven at 375 degrees F for around 45 minutes, or until soft. If you don’t have oat flour, make your own by grinding 1 cup of oats in a food processor–I like mine slightly course. Remove from food processor to a bowl, and set aside.
1. Combine baked sweet potato with banana, soymilk, and vanilla, and blend until smooth. Add maple syrup and sweetener, and set aside.
2. Combine the flours, baking soda and powder, salt, and spices in a medium sized bowl. Stir in chocolate chips, then add in wet ingredients and stir. If the batter is too dry, add non dairy milk until it’s at muffin-batter consistency.
3. Spoon batter into a standard sized muffin pan–it should fill one dozen cups about 2/3 full.
4. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out dry. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove muffins to a cooling rack.
- Calories per muffin: 90
- Carbs: 16.5g (2g fiber)| Protein: 2.5g | Fat: 1.8g
(This is cross-posted from my recipe only blog)
2 thoughts on “Recipe: Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Muffins (Vegan and Low Cal)”
These look great! Will have to try them! Xx