Sometimes I like to make elaborate meals like my most recent strawberry shortcake recipe, but other times… I just want some potatoes. These guys are my favorite way to eat simple potatoes! They’re like a cross between chips and a baked potato—crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and so addictive.
And it’s so simple, I almost feel silly even calling it a recipe. I usually have them with just salt and pepper, but they can be flavored so many ways, with sauces afterwards or spices while baking! (I add a few ideas below)
Nutrition note: contrary to popular opinion, potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse! Not only are they packed with fiber and resistant starch which are both great for weight loss (see my video on resistant starch & weight loss), but they’ve got almost every nutrient you need to survive. For example, one 400 calorie meal of these potatoes would give me 20% of my daily protein needs; 10g fiber; tons of potassium, B vitamins, and vitamin C; omega 3s, and a bunch more.
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes (~300g)
- Salt and pepper to taste (I use ~1/2 tsp seasoning salt, 1/8 tsp pepper)
- Optional: spices to taste (can also use to replace salt): smoked paprika, taco seasoning, curry powder, chili lime seasoning, 21 seasoning salute (or other italian seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees F.
- Slice potatoes into ~1/8″ thick slices width-wise (aka, so they’re circles not ovals), as evenly as possible. The best way to do this is with a mandolin, but a knife will do!
- Put them in a large tupperware, add spices, and shake them around to get them evenly coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread potato slices out in a single layer on the parchment paper with some space in between them. (Use multiple sheets if necessary)
- Place baking sheet(s) in oven. If you have multiple sheets, place them side by side on one rack rather than stacked on a rack above the other–you want both sheets to get full heat from the top and bottom of the oven!
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until there are large golden brown bubbles on top of all of the slices, like in the photos. But don’t let them get fully browned!
- Eat immediately, since they’re crispiest while hot!
4 thoughts on “Fluffy Baked Potato Chips Recipe [Vegan]”
Mmmm sounds great. I love potatoes, so versatile and I agree they are bursting with nutrients. 🙂
Thanks so much! Potatoes are always a good idea 🙂
These look great! I make something like this I call potato coins. I toss the rounds with some mustard and olive oil in addition to the spices, but yours look like a more chip-like product. I can almost taste them!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! That sounds like such a good recipe too, I need to try that!