When I need to bulk cook but am feeling lazy, I break out my Instant pot. And 90% of the time, it’s to make this recipe–it’s my favorite of all my stew/chili recipes!
Not only is it ridiculously comforting and delicious, but it’s a great way to pack in tons of veggies. It’s worked well with whatever veggies I’ve had on hand, so it’s a flexible recipe for using things up too!
Also, if you don’t have an instant pot, it works just fine on the stove too. (You just can’t be quite as lazy 😛 )
- 3 cups dry red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 6oz can tomato paste
- Large onion, diced (white or red works)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Heaping tsp cumin
- 3-4 heaping tsp chili powder*
- 2-3 tsp smoked paprika
- Heaping tsp cayenne
- 2-3 tsp normal paprika
- 1/4c brown sugar
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste (after cooking)
Veggies I added (optional/add whatever you like!):
- 6oz mushrooms
- 8oz frozen peppers
- 8oz bag chopped kale (or use 4oz frozen)
- 5oz broccoli
- 15oz can corn
*For spices where the amount ranges, if using an instant pot, I suggest using the high end of the range; for normal pot, use the lower end. Of course this also varies by how spicy you like things, and how many veggies you add!
- Add everything but the corn into an instant pot, put on high pressure for 17 mins, and allow to release naturally.
- (Or, if making on the stove: add all the ingredients except corn to a large pot over low heat. Cover and let simmer until the lentils are soft and the veggies are tender, stirring occasionally to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn)
- Stir in corn, and salt to taste. If you add as many veggies as I do, you may want to add garlic powder and more chili powder.
- Top with avocado, chili garlic salt, or if you’re feeling fancy, vegan sour cream.
Join 2,201 other subscribers
7 thoughts on “My Go-to Red Lentil Chili Recipe (with Instant Pot option)”
I love lentils. This looks wonderful. Can’t wait to try.
Thanks so much! Lentils are the best aren’t they?
this sounds delicious! i’ll definitely have to try it xxx
Thank you 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Looks super tasty, but I confess to being madly in love with lentils 😉 Thanks so much for sharing ❤
Thanks so much!
Looks good. Will def make