Today I’m teaming up with Goode Foods to bring you a recipe that’ll help keep you warm in the cold weather: chili!
I’ve been eating Thanksgiving leftovers for almost every. single. meal. since we celebrated it last weekend. I guess that’s what happens when you make 7 dishes for 4 people. 😉 And after all that heavy comfort food, all I wanted this weekend was something veggie packed and oil free—but still comforting. And this chili fit the bill perfectly!
I also made tofu sofritas to put a fun spin on it and up the protein factor. It’s so chewy and delicious, and a perfect contrast for the melt-in-your-mouth beans and veggies!
So, thank you Goode foods for inspiring me to make this! I’m a big fan not only because their canned beans & veggies are delicious and grown by local farmers, but they support veganism—all their products are vegan, and they team up with vegan bloggers (like me!) to get more healthy vegan recipes out there.
- Large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 3/4c chopped bell pepper
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 4 large celery stalks, chopped
- 3 – 15oz cans of pinto and black beans (I used Goode Foods: 2 cans black, 1 can pinto–any combo works!)
- 2 – 15oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 – 15oz can corn (I used Goode Foods)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dried cilantro (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Mince or press garlic (I use this garlic press) and add to a large pot over medium heat, along with the onion. Saute until the onion begins to get translucent, about 3-5 mins.
- Add bell pepper, carrots, celery, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika to pot. Saute about 2 mins, or until veggies begin to get tender.
- Add the beans and tomatoes to the pot, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. You want the veggies to be tender, and the beans to be very soft and start falling apart.
- Stir in the lime juice, maple syrup, can of corn, and the tofu sofritas.
- Enjoy on its own, or top with vegan sour cream, or cornbread muffins (stay tuned for that recipe!)
Tofu Sofritas Ingredients:
- 1 block super firm tofu (~400g)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Tofu Sofritas Directions:
- Combine nutritional yeast, soy sauce, lime juice, syrup, and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Stir until combined.
- Using your fingers, crumble the tofu into a large skillet. Pour in the sauce you made in step 1, and stir until tofu is evenly coated.
- Saute tofu on medium heat, stirring frequently, until it browns. (The drier it is, the chewier it’ll be in the chili!)
- Remove from heat and set aside until step 4 of the chili.